Sunday 20 May 2012

Martha Marcy May Marlene - Sean Durkin (2011)

MMMM is a good film, it's simply made, it's engaging, the actors are good at their roles... I did find it a bit disturbing. 

The storytelling is very convincing, you end up thinking that the scary thing is that this can be a true story (and probably is).  I think it's got to do with how naturally everything is told. 

The photography is pretty (a bit too obvious having the dark memories darker than the brighter present?). It's very nice to watch. There are the odd zooms. Oddly enough they didn't bother me too much. 

One thing I like was the transitions from present to past. Often flashbacks have cross dissolves or a white flash.. or something. Here it's done by simple cuts, the continuity makes things become closer- the idea that she's constantly living with her traumas as if it was still happening to her. 

I liked the ending. I like the idea that not everything needs to be explained. This is her story, her confusing, her paranoia... it's something that will stay with her. Whatever happens next... is another film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment