Monday 14 May 2012

Tirez sur le pianiste - François Truffaut (1960)

I like Truffaut's work.I enjoyed the Antoine Doinel series and Jules et Jim. This is a little masterpiece. It does take a lot of genre elements but it is also an author film and very innovative. 

Simplicity is something I like in films. This is just casual and natural yet very creative. The night walks are great... you can even see the camera shadow, but it doesn't matter as the narrative flows so well.

There are things like inserting subtitles... you do wonder what was that about, as it's not repeated anywhere else. I wasn't too bothered by the non-related stories added in the middle.. I didn't really think it wasn't related. 

Charles Aznavour is just great. His performance is just perfect, he was such a good actor he should have been in better known films in his youth. I should probably see more of his films.

Tirez sur le pianiste

No comments:

Post a Comment